Hey! You made it to my About page! My name is Sarah. I’m really glad you’re here.
I am a business coach for heart centered people like coaches, healers, and artists who want to grow their business. I’m not your typical business and marketing coach. Instead of just giving advice, I also help with the internal blocks that hold you back. There are a lot of coaches who will teach you marketing and hold you accountable for taking action. I will do some of that, but much more powerful is the combination of inner work with inspired action.
Where I’ve been
I have been creating the life of my dreams for 20 years. I tried the 9-to-5 and didn’t like it. That means I’ve created businesses out of necessity rather than a yearning to be an entrepreneur just for the money. I’ve sold knives, makeup and business writing. I’ve built a massage and yoga practice. I’ve learned so much about how to serve people in business and make a real difference. I’ve also learned a ton about how not to. I’ll share it all with you–the good, the bad and the ugly.
I’ve spent the majority of my career helping people heal in various ways. I spent 13 years as a massage therapist trying to help people heal on the physical level. It didn’t go deep enough to help in a lasting way. My clients were very peaceful and pain free when they were with me but they weren’t able to maintain it.
So I became a yoga teacher. Combining body + spirit was more effective, but it still didn’t cut it. I still didn’t know how to help my people touch the peace they were longing for.
Then I found Dr. Martha Beck’s approach to life coaching. I thought coaching was so cheesy and ridiculous. I thought it meant jumping up and down telling people YOU CAN DO IT!!! but I liked Martha so I went for it. She’s the brilliant and funny and noncheesy life coach who writes for Oprah magazine and appears with her on TV. That’s where I learned how to bring healing to all three areas: mind, body and spirit. I am proud to be a certified Martha Beck coach.
A year later, I took my training deeper and trained with Brooke Castillo to learn her pivotal weight loss tools. I am currently training with her to be a master coach. I’m so proud to be a certified Weight School coach.
I can help.
My work is 1 part mind-body connections, 1 part energy management, 1 part positive psychology and 1 part skills training.
I have been in business for myself since 1997. I’ve learned a ton about how to do business without compromising my morals or my personality. My business helps people, supports my family and brings me endless satisfaction. I’d love to help you find the same.
I write a regular e-letter with stories and advice about building a heart centered business. Sign up here. Many people tell me my e-letter is the only one they read.
I teach Shiny Object School, a program that helps heart centered business owners get and stay focused. Join the waiting list here.
I work privately with people who are serious about doing more of the passion work they love and help more people with it. Read more about my packages here.
My philosophy in a nutshell:
I believe that if you’re creating your own business, you should do it your way, on your terms, in a way that suits you. It should be fun and deeply satisfying, not crazy making.
Building a business is hard work. It’s some of the hardest work I’ve ever done. It’s never boring or demoralizing.
There are no magic formulas. There are, however, some basic principles of marketing and business. Once you understand those you can do anything you want.
What is marketing? Marketing is communication. It’s letting the people you serve know you can help. There’s nothing creepy about that. Although some people do creepy things trying to make more money, it doesn’t mean you have to. In no way does marketing equal gross.
What is business? Business is just the container you create so that money and services can be exchanged. You can do your passion work without being in business. That’s called a hobby and there’s nothing wrong with that. Some way or another you need some money. You can get it from someone else like a partner or parent; from a j-o-b or from savings. If you want your passion work to support you though, that means setting up a business. If this sounds hard or boring to you, this is where I come in. I love to tie business building into personal development and the spiritual journey. Working with me is fun, interesting and we get results fast.
What are holy messages? Every fear, every freakout, every procrastination has a holy message for you that can help lead you to your right path. Not the path your mom thinks is right for you. Or the one your husband thinks is right. It’s the path you’re craving in that truest, deepest part of your soul that you haven’t been able to access for a long time, maybe even since you were a kid.
Don’t worry. It’s still there waiting for you.
And so am I.
Many more true things about me
- I have 3 kids: 2, 6 and 21.
- I’ve been married for 14 years. Some of those early years were pretty hard. We’ve come a long way, we now adore each other and have a nurturing and fun home.
- Even so, I’ve always wanted Kevin Bacon to be my boyfriend. Ever since I saw Footloose as a 9 year old and danced my way out of the theater. I love a man with a swagger.
- I polled the people I love for three 3 adjectives to describe me. The winners: nonjudgemental, honest and sharp. Sadly, funny barely made the list but I disagree. I crack myself up all the time.
- I’ve been told everything is more fun with me. My best friend says I even make a trip to the grocery store fun.
- I really want to visit Antarctica.
- I was a successful telemarketer. I’m very grateful for that experience. I’ll never do it again.
- I am unreasonably afraid of mountain roads.
- My first profitable business was selling acid out of the front seat of my car.
- When I found Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, I felt like I had come home.
- I used to tour the country to see my favorite writers when they made public appearances. My favorite performance was by Sherman Alexie. I’ve read all of the fiction he’s written.
- I’ve written 1 terrible novel of my own.
- My favorite activity: cuddling.
- I tell the truth about things other people won’t. This makes my very reserved husband nervous.
- I love jeweled insects and snake jewelry.
- I make jewelry.
- I cut my own hair.
- Boring is my nemesis.
- I haven’t drank alcohol or taken drugs since 1993. I took my share before that though.
- I love bluegrass hymns.
- I’m an ordained minister thanks to the magical internet. You may call me The Rev (The Reverend).
What other people say about how my work has helped them:
“Damn woman. You are amazing. I was feeling really fearful and unsure of myself and now I know it was because I wasn’t heading in the right direction.” Katie McClain |Ma Vie Magique
“I’ve paid a lot of money for coaching and had never gotten this kind of valuable information.” Christie Inge | Body Image Coach
“My mind-voices were battering me daily, and now are replaced with encouragement, or
peaceful quiet- which I never thought possible.” Jano Brindisi
“You seriously have no idea what you have done to help me change my life. I still have things to work on, and can’t wait to see what happens as I continue to work with you.” Teresa Schramm | Merriment Photography
Here is what’s next
If you’d like to work together, I’d love to talk to you about it to see if we’re a good fit. Email me at sarahwagneryost @ gmail.com. You can read about my packages and programs here.
I have a ton of free resources here.
People love my newsletter. Sign up for regular updates and business love notes here.